The Wall is the eleventh studio album by British rock legends Pink Floyd. Released in 1979, a double length album consisting of twenty-six tracks. One of the first concept albums, this rock opera stories the life of Pink, a rock star who has become jaded with reality and seeks to erect a wall between himself and the world.
At minutes 80 long, the album features many classic tracks of Pink Floyd’s repertoire, such as “Hey You”, “Comfortably Numb” & “Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2”. These are some of my favourite Pink Floyd songs, and the album is probably my favourite of all time.
Background & Story
After the successes of Dark Side of the Moon in 1973, the band went on to become a stadium band; according to Waters fans would attend as a social occasion without care for the music or simply wanting to hear the band’s hits. This disillusionment came to a head at a concert in 1977, when Waters spat at a fan. Horrified by his actions, he imagined a wall separating the audience from himself.
This idea came to shape the concept of the rock opera, centred around protagonist Pink (based on Barrett on Waters’ lives), a rockstar who after the traumas of authoritarian figures in his life and the death of his father seeks to erect a wall between himself and reality.
Even though it’s my favourite album I probably couldn’t name all twenty-six tracks on this record, but I do have my personal favourites! As some songs lead into others, I’ve put some of them together:
- Happiest Days of Our Lives + Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2/ Empty Spaces + Young Lust / Hey You / Comfortably Numb
- While touring, 12 metre high walls were built with cardboard bricks during concerts.
- During production keyboardist Richard Wright was fired by Waters, only to stay on as a paid freelance musician.
- It’s the second Pink Floyd bestselling album.
- Comfortably Numb is inspired by an event when Waters was injected with muscle relaxants during the In The Flesh tour.
- Relationships between the bands were at an all-time low during this period, with all four arriving in separate Winnibegos for shows.